The Leinster Journal Vol II. No 93 dated Wednesday November 16th 1768.

Frontis of the November 1768 Issue of Edmund Finn's Leinster Journal.

Frontis of the November 1768 Issue of Edmund Finn’s Leinster Journal.

We are very grateful to that well known Masonic Researcher – Wor Bro Edwin Hancock for drawing our attention to an interesting Masonic article recorded in the November 1768 edition of Edmund Finn’s The Leinster Journal. This paper founded by Edmund Finn in 1767, was the first published News-Sheet in Kilkenny, published bi-weekly on Wednesday’s and Saturday’s and it quickly build up a readership in counties Waterford, Kilkenny, Carlow and up as far north as Castledermot in Co Kildare. It was a financial success, establishing the wealth of the Finn family, thanks to the hard work and effort put in by Edmund and his employees. Sadly Edmund died in 1777, so his wife Catherine became quite famous for running the paper, in his stead, whilst still raising her family of seven children.

Details from the Banner Headline.

Details from the Banner Headline.

Modern version of the text of the 1768 Journal.

Modern version of the text of the 1768 Journal.

Enlargement of the Original Article.

Enlargement of the Original Article.

For those with a military interest Lord Drogheda’s Regiment was first raised by Charles Moore, First Marquess of Drogheda as the 19th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1759; it was also known as the Drogheda’s Light Horse.It was renumbered the 18th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1763, and briefly the 4th Regiment of Light Dragoons in 1766 before reverting to the 18th in 1769.Lord Drogheda entered the British Army, as cornet in the 12th Dragoons on 1 May 1744; was gazetted as Colonel of the 18th Hussars 3 August 1762; and died on 22 of December 1821; having been colonel of the Regiment for sixty-two years.

charles-moore-1st-marquis-of-drogheda

charles-moore-1st-marquis-of-drogheda

As some of you may recall, the funeral service described above, is very similar to that described in the extract from the Victorian version that featured in one of our earlier blogs, a couple of months ago. We are always keen to receive any snippets, articles or fillers which illustrate aspects of our earlier Masonic History, and again would thank Wor BroHandcock for his input in this instance.

About irishfreemason

Rt Wor Bro Bashford lives in Ireland where he joined the Masonic Order in 1977. He became a Master Mason in 1978 and served as Master of his Mother Lodge, Moyarget No. 280 Irish Constitution in 1990. He was appointed Richard Robinson Memorial Lecturer in the Irish Masonic Province of Antrim in 1992 and 2004. In 1996 he was appointed Grand Master's personal Standard Bearer by Most Wor. Bro Darwin Templeton, G.M. In 2000 he became the Millennium Master of the `irish Lodge of Research No. 200, and in 2001 went on to become Excellent King of the irish Chapter of Research No. 222.He is the current Editor of the Irish Lodge of Research, and has been since 1992, and of the Irish Chapter of Research since 1996. He was appointed Representative of the Grand Lodge of Portugal at the Grand Lodge of Ireland in 2006 ( a ten year appointment), giving him the courtesy title of Right Worshipful Brother. He is currently Provincial Grand Librarian for the Province of Antrim, and Curator of the museum at their headquarters in Belfast.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.