On the 22nd March 1911 a printed Form of Memorial was received by Grand Lodge for a new Warrant to hold a Lodge at Freemasons’ Hall, Dublin to be called the Coronation Lodge – Memorial signed by fifteen Brethren from various Lodges – Nominates Mark Walter Quinn, JP (P.M. 125) as first W.M.; John W. Robb (117 & 232) as S.W. and Edward Irvine Johnston (269) as J.W. – Recommended by Lodges 33, 25 and 141. Subsequentially on the 30th April 1911 The Board of General Purposes having unanimously recommended the Memorial for Lodge to be numbered 329 and designated “The Coronation” it has occurred to the Founders that it would be in accord with the name to place a crown – as symbol of the Coronation – upon the Lodge aprons and collars in addition to the number …” (signed) Edward H. Burne, acting Secretary.
This was to mark the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary, who were crowned in Westminster Abbey on the 22nd June 1911. Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Stratherne, third son of Queen Victoria, Grand Patron of Freemasonry in Ireland and Grand Master of the U.G.L.E. gave the necessary approvals to the new Lodge to use the St Edward’s crown on their jewels, aprons, collars etc. The St Edward’s crown is one of the oldest of the Crown Jewels and originated with St Edward the Confessor, who can be seen wearing it on one of the panels of the Bayeux Tapestry. It had not been used for some two hundred plus years before King George the V selected it, but has now been used several times since, including by our current Queen on her Coronation in 1953.
The Lodge submitted designs for their proposed Foundation Jewel, aprons and collars and these were approved by the Grand Lodge Board of General Purposes at their meeting on the 29th May 1911. On the 23rd June 1911, the Lodge was Constituted by Rt. Wor. Bro. Sir Charles Cameron, C.B., Deputy Grand Master. The Lodge had Fourteen Foundation Members including Mark Walter Quinn, Librarian (125); John W. Robb, Bank Clerk (117) and Edward Irvine Johnston, Sec. Ltd. Co. (269).
No indication as to Master or Wardens
Eleven members served in the 1914-18 War and Bro. Lieut. J.H.F. Leland, R.D.F. made the supreme sacrifice. The Lodge worked quietly through the middle years of the 20th century. However it encountered a shortage of new candidates in the Sixties and early Seventies which lead ultimately to the Return of the Warrant to Grand Lodge on the 1st December 1977.