On the 2nd March 1918 a group of North Down Farmers, their friends and Brethren met in Bangor Masonic Hall to Constitute Cottown Masonic Lodge No 430 I.C. The ceremony was carried out by the Provincial Grand Master of Down Rt Wor Bro Col R.G.Sharman Crawford MP, supported by the officers of The Provincial Grand Lodge of Down. Bro Dr Robert Lee Moore ( Lodge 170 ) became the Foundation Master supported by James A. MacIntosh (Lodge 746) and Robert P. Mayne (Lodge 675) to form `Cottown Lodge’ in BANGOR, Co. Down.There were nine other Foundation Brethren, eight of whom came from Union Lodge No 746 Bangor, and together they quickly found their feet, and five years later in 1923, they had some 75 members registered to the Lodge.
The Ceremony of Constituting the new Lodge was carried out in an impressive manner by the Provincial Grand Master and Officers the Provincial Grand Master installing W. Bro. Dr. R.L. Moore as Worshipful Master of the Lodge the remaining officers being afterwards installed.The Provincial Grand Master said it was a pleasure for him to attend and Constitute the ‘Cottown’ Lodge called after a place situated so near, and with which his family had been connected for 300 years. With such a good Mason and good man as Bro. Dr. Moore for their first Worshipful Master the Lodge was bound to make a good start which was a great matter in a New Lodge. At present there was no Hall at Cottown but he understood that as soon as this dreadful War was over it was the intention of these brethren to have a Hall there and he would lend that scheme every assistance in his power. It was a great thing to see Freemasonry increasing as no one could foretell what would happen when the War was over. It had stood the test of many Centuries and in his opinion a man was improved by joining the Order. He felt certain the new Lodge would be a great success and a source of strength and credit to the Province. W. Bro. Dr. D.L. Moore thanked the Grand Master for the kind words addressed to members of the New Lodge which was started by farmers in the Cottown district with a few outside friends like himself and all were then Masons which he thought was a good augury of success for the Lodge.
Here Brethren we have a beautiful 9ct and silver Past Master’s jewel dating from 1929, which the members of the Lodge presented to their then Wor Master – Wor Bro James McClelland. The jewel was made locally by William Pollock, a jeweller and silversmith whose shop was located on the Main Street in Bangor. Many years have now passed since this Lodge was Constituted, and it still meets in the Hamilton Road Hall in Bangor right up to the present day. And, if anyone is interested, this jewel is currently under offer on the e-bay site ( item reference 3216 5391 9986 ) with the sale finishing tomorrow the 8th February 2015 @ 19.21 pm.