European Heritage Open Days 2014.

Cover of the European Heritage Brochure 2014.

Cover of the European Heritage Brochure 2014.

Its hard to believe that another year has slipped past already, and we are now back to the annual European Heritage Open Days initiative where many of our most historical buildings will be open to the public on Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th September 2014. This year in Northern Ireland, we have three Masonic Centres opening in the town of Saintfield, Enniskillen and Londonderry. We have attached copies of all three advertisements so you can see where to find the Halls, Opening Times and other useful information.

The Saintfield Hall.

The Saintfield Hall.

The Enniskillen Hall.

The Enniskillen Hall.

The Bishop's Palace, Londonderry.

The Bishop’s Palace, Londonderry.

The Saintfield Hall is some 92 years old this year and contains a range of interesting Masonic and Historical material. Interestingly, it is the only one of our Halls that will be open on Sunday afternoon, and I hope that it will have many visitors on the day.

The Enniskillen Hall occupies a prominent position on the road into Enniskillen from Belfast and again has an varied selection of Masonic artifacts on display, including an early Masonic bog oak medallion bearing the date 1517. There is an extensive collection of jewels from the local Lodges, a cased set of dress regalia that was once used by The Duke of Leinster and a very early Royal Arch Masonic Chart bearing the date 1749. All in all, if you have never been there, this Hall is well worth a visit. And even if you have been there, make an effort to appear, and support the Fermanagh Brethren in this very worthwhile effort to engage with the public at large.

And finally, we have the Old Bishop’s Palace in the centre of Londonderry, long time home to the Lodges of the town, and containing another interesting collection of Masonic artifacts. So Brethren, take this opportunity to visit some ( or indeed all ) of these Halls, support the local Brethren and take the opportunity to view some of the very interesting exibits on display.

About irishfreemason

Rt Wor Bro Bashford lives in Ireland where he joined the Masonic Order in 1977. He became a Master Mason in 1978 and served as Master of his Mother Lodge, Moyarget No. 280 Irish Constitution in 1990. He was appointed Richard Robinson Memorial Lecturer in the Irish Masonic Province of Antrim in 1992 and 2004. In 1996 he was appointed Grand Master's personal Standard Bearer by Most Wor. Bro Darwin Templeton, G.M. In 2000 he became the Millennium Master of the `irish Lodge of Research No. 200, and in 2001 went on to become Excellent King of the irish Chapter of Research No. 222.He is the current Editor of the Irish Lodge of Research, and has been since 1992, and of the Irish Chapter of Research since 1996. He was appointed Representative of the Grand Lodge of Portugal at the Grand Lodge of Ireland in 2006 ( a ten year appointment), giving him the courtesy title of Right Worshipful Brother. He is currently Provincial Grand Librarian for the Province of Antrim, and Curator of the museum at their headquarters in Belfast.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.